As this is my first quilt, this is also my first time machine-quilting or "stippling" something. I ran into a problem last night and asked the nice folks over at the Flickr Old Red Barn Quilt Along discussion group for help. I want to say thanks to everyone who contributed advice. I probably would have pulled my hair out!
Here's the back of my first quilted panel. Day 1 (yesterday) comprised 4/5 of the stitching, from left to right. Day 2 is over on the right.
After reading the advice, I set my thread length to zero. I then sped the machine up whilst slowing down my movement of the sandwich.
I got much better results from that!
Day 2 close-up
I then started on my second panel. It's like doodling!
Don't ask me why it's started looking like a border. I don't know, and frankly my dear, I don't give a hoot. :P
I also found these little finger cots to be extremely helpful. Except when they're trying to fall off. You've got to watch where the little buggers jump to, too, because they're springy and bouncy.
But all in all it's so much easier to move the sandwich around now.
Alright, this photo just shows that I've been reading too many LOLCats and that I really need to go to bed. Have a good night all!