Thursday, June 18, 2009

Green your blog to support Freedom and Fair Elections in Iran


I've been told that as an online shop owner I should keep away from politics on my blog and on social media. I just can't do that right now. I've been following the Iran situation, and it just burns my hide that the people there, that people anywhere, are being oppressed.

Students attacked in their university dormitories. Bloggers and tweeters being hunted down because they're telling their stories, telling the world what's really going on inside their cities, their country.

What can we do, here where we sit, to help these humans in their cause of freedom?

We can do as LeeDumond.com has suggested:

"I’ve temporarily changed the background of my blog to green to express solidarity with those who yearn for freedom in Iran. If you have a blog or website of your own, won’t you please consider doing the same?...

If you live in the USA or any free country; where you are allowed to say what you want, do what you want, elect the leaders you want, readmarch in the streets if you want, then take a couple of minutes and show your support for these brave men and women who want nothing more or less than to enjoy the same freedoms you and I take for granted every single day. the blogs you want, and

It won’t take much. Put a green background on your blog or website for a week. It’s a small gesture, but it would mean a lot.

Just do it. And be thankful that you can."

We can help them out by passing the word, by showing support, by educating others, by donating some bandwidth so they can use it.

I've greened my photo on Twitter in support, as well as changed my location to Iran and timezone to +3:30 Tehran. This is in order to help hide those tweeters in Iran that officials are trying to hush up.

For more information, please see LeeDumond's blog, and http://iran.whyweprotest.net/




1 comment:

  1. I COMMEND you and I feel exactly the same. I don't have an on-line business but I still have a web presence and I worried about my Tweets at first. I could care less about something so insignificant as that. The protesters in Iran are so noble and brave, I feel inspired by them. We in this country know nothing of the kind of fear they are experiencing and standing up to.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. You rock!